Pero tú, oh YHWH, eres escudo alrededor de mí; eres mi gloria y el que levanta mi cabeza. sa

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Ants Came Marching...


The ants came marching one by one, hoorah, hoorah! Well no hoorah but they are marching and they are in the house. For those of you who know me, you know that ants adore me...something about the body chemistry I guess, but they seek me out...wherever I am. So yes, I am disturbed. They move from place to place, upstairs and down...We spray for them and the survivors relocate. Today however, I found them coming out of the wall by the fireplace and traveling under the track in our shower...yes the walls back up to each other. I attacked them with shampoo, bleach, air freshener and lysol because I am out of ant spray...It has been entertaining and I've done nothing but toy with them and only destroyed a few. And then I remembered. FIRE ANT KILLER! So outside I go and bring it in. I put some on a square of foil and put it by the trail running on the hearth. It was like I hung out a neon sign that read "POISON!" And not a one took even a taste. So I got some syrup and mixed it in with the bait. I made sure just a little of the syrup touched the very edge of the trail and right behind that, yep, was the poison. A couple of ants went by...nothing...Then one little ant stopped. He tasted. I guess he sent out his little ant signal bc slowly all his little buddies were joining him...tasting. That one ant had the power within himself to take out his entire colony...or whats left of them. At least that is my hope!

So I got to thinking about what I had done, and the result of it. Taylor was in the recliner so I called her over and told her my thoughts. I'm a little disturbed that in the next few sentences I will compare myself to satan, but oh well...hopefully the lesson out-weighs the comparison lol. What I was thinking was this: What I did with those ants is so similar to how satan tries to come against us. He puts his poison [[sin]] right there in our path. His hope is to steal, to kill and to destroy. So many times we see that sin for what it is and steer clear of it, maybe even for a long time. So he tries a little harder and he gets a little smarter...and somehow makes that sin look sooooo good. Until finally, if we keep playing around it, it's like the urge to taste...just a little, overcomes the conviction of what is right and wrong. And BAM! Before you know it there we sit...neck deep in it and many times we find ourselves in that spot with people who trusted us sitting right there along side of us just like that ant. Of course, the other side to this would be to turn those temptations over to God and let HIM give us the strength to deal with our weaknesses. Too bad that little ant didn't have that option...

I told Taylor there's a pretty good lesson to be learned from this. Poison is poison no matter how good it looks, and no matter how good it tastes. Play with it...you are dead. It's the same way with sin. Sin is Sin, no matter how good it looks...it's still sin.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Amen! Great object lesson....

Allan Mills said...

Melanie . . . excellent blog entry, and the others I read as well. The writing is good, the perspective refreshing. Thanks! Serendipity brought me here (one of my Facebook acquaintances commented on a picture you posted, and clicking on that led me to your blog address, and now here). I look forward to following your journey. Allan (originally from Rome, Georgia)

Peggy said...

Awesome lesson...blessings Melanie,
I came to check you out on the high recommendation of your cousin and not to be disappointed in the least. She is so right! You definitely have a flare for writing! I so enjoyed this!
You have a wonderful style and so beautiful written! I will enJoy visiting here & have added you to my bookmarks of new blogs 2010!(if only I remember where I stored you)! This is a GREAT blog!

melanie said...

Thank you all!

Jackie said...

Hey Melanie!
Came over from Hallelujah Anyhow and so glad I did!
Great post.... What a wonderful way to teach about the consequences of sin!

I read some of your other posts and was very blessed, too!

Sweet Blessings!
Jackie